Welcome to the Better Living for Texans page!
Webb County’s BLT Program Assistant
Genesis Hernandez – Nutrition Educator
Desiree Guerra – Nutrition Educator
May 2017 Newsletter and Q&A
Completed sites include:
Texas A&M Colonias Program • El Cenizo Head Start • M.O.S. Branch Library • Downtown Senior Fitness Center • Volunteers Serving the Need
We’d like to congratulate the A Fresh Start to a Healthier You! graduates! Our participants were as excited as we were to complete the series and receive their certificates. Thank you for participating and to our wonderful graduates!
Walk & Talk Series
Congratulations to La Presa Community Center for completing our Walk & Talk Series!
Spring/Summer Season Fruits and Vegetables
May: Bell peppers, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cantaloupes, Carrots, Celery, Cucumbers, Greens, Herbs, Honeydew, Muscadine grapes, Mushrooms, New potatoes, Onions, Plums, Spinach, Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes, Turnips, Watermelon
June: Bell Peppers, Blackberries, Cabbage, Cantaloupes, Cucumbers, Greens, Herbs, Honeydew, Mushrooms, Onions, Peaches, Potatoes, Squash, Tomatoes, Turnips, Watermelon
July: Apples, Blueberries, Cabbage, Cucumbers, Greens, Herbs, Mushrooms, Onions, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Turnips, Watermelon
Recipe of the week!
Grilled Fish Tacos with Peach Salsa
Set the stage for a delicious plate with these healthy fish tacos with peach salsa. Perfect for a summertime taco night!
For the Salsa:
- In a medium bowl, stir together chopped peaches, bell pepper, onions, jalapenos, cilantro, and lemon juice; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the fish:
- Heat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Using paper towels, pat fish dry, transfer to plate.
- In a small bowl, stir together chili powder, low-sodium adobo and sazon packet.
- Rub fish with spice mixture to coat completely.
- Place fish on hot greased grill grates.
- Cook, flipping once until fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork (145 degrees Fahrenheit), about 8 minutes.
- Thinly slice fish.
- To serve, fill each tortilla with 1/2 fish fillet and about 1/3 cup of salsa.
Interested in the BLT program for your organization or group?
- Throughout Webb County, participants are given to healthy recipes, cooking demonstrations, food safety information, portion control recommendations, and grocery shopping tips through research-based lessons like:
- A Fresh Start to a Healthier You!: a program focused on healthy and safe food practices
- Walk and Talk: a program to increase physical activity, in order to lead a healthier lifestyle
- Eat Smart, Live Strong: a senior-adult recommended series to increase activity and nutrition
- My Plate: a series solely focused on discussing the importance of each food group