Welcome to the Better Living for Texans page!
Webb County’s BLT Program Assistant
Genesis Hernandez – Nutrition Educator
Desiree Guerra – Nutrition Educator
August 2017 Newsletter
July 2017 Newsletter and Q&A
A Fresh Start to a Healthier You!
Completed sites include:
- Texas A&M Colonias Program • El Cenizo Head Start • M.O.S. Branch Library • Downtown Senior Fitness Center • Volunteers Serving the Need • First United Methodist Church • LBV Inner City Library
We’d like to congratulate the A Fresh Start to a Healthier You! graduates! Our participants were as excited as we were to complete the series and receive their certificates. Thank you for participating and to our wonderful graduates!
Walk & Talk Series
Congratulations to E.J Salinas Community Center and Rio Bravo Community Center for completing our Walk & Talk Series!
Summer Season Fruits and Vegetables
June: Bell Peppers, Blackberries, Cabbage, Cantaloupes, Cucumbers, Greens, Herbs, Honeydew, Mushrooms, Onions, Peaches, Potatoes, Squash, Tomatoes, Turnips, Watermelon
July: Apples, Blueberries, Cabbage, Cucumbers, Greens, Herbs, Mushrooms, Onions, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Turnips, Watermelon
August: Apples, Bell Peppers, Cabbage, Cantaloupes, Carrots, Cucumbers, Greens, Herbs, Honeydew, Mushrooms, Onions, Peaches, Potatoes, Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes, Turnips, Watermelon
Recipe of the week
1. Wash your hands and clean your cooking area. Preheat saute pan to medium heat on the stove top. 2. Combine sweet potatoes and olive oil in the pan and saute until potatoes are bright and tender. 3. Add Rosemary to the pan and continue stirring. 4. Add garlic and onion, and cook until soft and aromatic.
Nutritional facts per serving: 140 calories, 4.5g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 65mg sodium, 24g total carbohydrate, 4g dietary fiber, 5g sugars, 2g protein, and 320% vitamin A. Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
- Throughout Webb County, participants are given to healthy recipes, cooking demonstrations, food safety information, portion control recommendations, and grocery shopping tips through research-based lessons like:
- A Fresh Start to a Healthier You!: a program focused on healthy and safe food practices
- Walk and Talk: a program to increase physical activity, in order to lead a healthier lifestyle
- Eat Smart, Live Strong: a senior-adult recommended series to increase activity and nutrition
- My Plate: a series solely focused on discussing the importance of each food group