Webb County’s BLT Program Assistants
Nutrition Educator Genesis Hernandez
Nutrition Educator Valeria San Miguel
January 2017 Newsletter
December 2017 Newsletter
Completed sites include: Texas A&M Colonias Program • El Cenizo Head Start • M.O.S. Branch Library • Downtown Senior Fitness Center • Volunteers Serving the Need • First United Methodist Church • LBV Inner City Library • Lilia Perez Community Center • Border Region Behavioral Center • Bethany House of Laredo
We’d like to congratulate the A Fresh Start to a Healthier You! graduates! Our participants were as excited as we were to complete the series and receive their certificates. Thank you for participating and to our wonderful graduates!
Congratulations to Ladrillito Activity Center and Santa Teresita Community Center for completing our Eat Smart Live Strong Series
December: Beets, bell peppers, broccoli, cabbage, cantaloupes, carrots, celery, cucumbers, grapefruit, greens, herbs, honeydew, mushrooms, oranges, spinach, squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips
January: Beets, bell peppers, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, celery, grapefruit, herbs, honeydew, mushrooms, oranges, spinach, squash, sweet potatoes, turnips
February: Beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, celery, grapefruit, greens, herbs, mushrooms, oranges, spinach, sweet potatoes, turnips
- 3 mango diced
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley finely chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- cayenne pepper to taste
Wash you hands, clean your work area, and wash fruits and vegetables.
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Gently toss with lime juice.
Chill. Sprinkle lightly with cayenne pepper just before serving.
- Throughout Webb County, participants are given to healthy recipes, cooking demonstrations, food safety information, portion control recommendations, and grocery shopping tips through research-based lessons like:
- A Fresh Start to a Healthier You!: a program focused on healthy and safe food practices
- Walk and Talk: a program to increase physical activity, in order to lead a healthier lifestyle
- Eat Smart, Live Strong: a senior-adult recommended series to increase activity and nutrition