Welcome to the Better Living for Texans page!
Webb County’s BLT Program Assistants
Nutrition Educator Genesis Hernandez
Nutrition Educator Valeria San Miguel
October 2017 Newsletter
September 2017 Newsletter
August 2017 Newsletter
A Fresh Start to a Healthier You!
- Texas A&M Colonias Program • El Cenizo Head Start • M.O.S. Branch Library • Downtown Senior Fitness Center • Volunteers Serving the Need • First United Methodist Church • LBV Inner CityLibrary
We’d like to congratulate the A Fresh Start to a Healthier You! graduates! Our participants were as excited as we were to complete the series and receive their certificates. Thank you for participating and to our wonderful graduates!
Walk & Talk Series
Congratulations to E.J Salinas Community Center and Rio Bravo Community Center for completing our Walk & Talk Series!
Fall Season Fruits and Vegetables
September: Apples, Bell peppers, Cabbage, Cantaloupes, Carrots, Celery, Cucumbers, Greens, Herbs, Honeydew, Mushrooms, Onions, Oranges, Peaches, Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes, Turnips, Watermelons
October: Apples, Bell peppers, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cantaloupes, Carrots, Celery, Cucumbers, Greens, Herbs, Honeydew, Mushrooms, Oranges, Potatoes, Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes, Turnips, Watermelon
November: Apples, Beets, Bell peppers, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cantaloupes, Carrots, Celery, Cucumbers, Grapefruit, Greens, Herbs, Honeydew, Mushrooms, Oranges, Spinach, Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes, Turnips.
Recipe of the week
Herbed Citrus Grouper
- 4 oz. olive oil
- 4.5 lbs. grouper fillets, or fillets of redfish, catfish, trout, drum, or another white, lean fish
- 2 grapefruits and more for garnish
- 3 lemons Juice of 3 lemons
- 1/4 cup herbs de Provence
1, Wash your hands and cooking area. Preheat oven to 350 °F. 2. Grease an oven- safe dish with as much olive oil as needed. Place grouper fillets on the dish half-an inch apart. 3. Zest, segment, and juice grapefruits; reserve the grapefruit slices. 4. Drizzle grapefruit juice, lemon juice, herbs, and any remaining olive oil over fillets. 5. Bake fish, uncovered, for 30 minutes. 6. Remove the fish from the oven, top with the reserved grapefruit slices, and bake for 5 more minutes. 7. Garnish with additional fresh grapefruit slices if desired.
Nutrition facts per serving: 260 calories, 11g total fat, 1.6g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 90mg sodium, 5g total carbohydrate, 1g dietary fiber, 0g sugars, 33g protein, 40% vitamin C, and 10% iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
- Throughout Webb County, participants are given to healthy recipes, cooking demonstrations, food safety information, portion control recommendations, and grocery shopping tips through research-based lessons like:
- A Fresh Start to a Healthier You!: a program focused on healthy and safe food practices
- Walk and Talk: a program to increase physical activity, in order to lead a healthier lifestyle
- Eat Smart, Live Strong: a senior-adult recommended series to increase activity and nutrition
- My Plate: a series solely focused on discussing the importance of each food group